Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 3 and still waiting.

10:30 am
Johannesburg, ZA

I've decided that time means nothing in South Africa, as in Costa Rica. We ran into this problem over winter break last year when Katie and I went to Costa Rica, but it's even worse here. I scheduled a bus to take me to Soweto and then to the Apartheid Museum and several other places in Joburg. They didn't call me last night with a pick up time, so I called this morning around 8 am. They said they would be there in 15 minutes, which meant I had no time to shower, but just enough time to look decent. I sat in the lobby for 45 minutes, until I could no longer stand the awkward conversation one of the male employees was putting me through. He was one of about 10 guys that has asked if Katie and I were twins during the 3 days we have been here. Every one of these men has told us that we must thank our parents for good genes. (Thanks Mom and Dad...) Katie and I discussed yesterday if maybe we should just start saying we are twins to save ourselves the trouble. Anyway, it seems like where ever in the world I go, foreign men have a fascination with American women and want to know everything about the States. I remember being 12 and walking the streets of Paris with my Mom and having men whistle at us. Keep in mind I haven't grown an inch since I was 12 and probably look pretty similar. Maybe? Haha. Anyway, when I get nervous I usually fidget with my ring, something my family has reminded me that my Grandma Egan once did. Weird how those little things get passed on huh? This man noticed I was doing this (which is also weird...few people notice I do this) and said, "Well you must feel nervous." YEP. To say the least. Ha. At this point I excused myself to call the bus company again for the 5th time, to get the same response of, "We'll be there in 15 minutes." The hotel staff has been very very nice and helpful, probably, again, because I am a young white American girl. But aside from that, even if Joburg residents can't tell time, at least they are friendly and helpful.

15 minutes= 3 hours in Joburg time.

Still waiting. Hopefully I'll get to leave the hotel room today!

K

No comments:

Post a Comment