Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 6

9:24 pm
Cape Town, ZA

What a day! I'm almost two exhausted to write, which is bad considering Katie and I will be getting up at 6 am for another exciting day! We started out the day going down to Victoria Port, which is right on the Atlantic Ocean and the main port for Cape Town. There we walked around and went in the little shops. After that we drove to a local meat restaurant in a Township (where you're not supposed to go haha) and ate with the locals. It was amazing! You walked into this little butcher shop type area, picked out what kind of meat you wanted, and then watched them cut it and season it, and throw it on the fire right in front of you. Not only was it the best meat I've ever had, but it was an awesome experience as well. They don't sell beverages, but the local people have started selling bottles of beer from their homes. Shortly after finishing our huge meals, a local came over and asked us to join their party a few tables down. There were about 15-20 local people our age that worked together at an Italian restaurant in town out celebrating the day off (for Women's Day, a national holiday!). They were drinking heavily, but we decided to join them anyway. They were a really fun group, and it was nice to be around some locals our age, although I probably poured 4 tequila shots on the ground. Not much for drinking tequila at 2pm! Katie and I witnessed our first crack snorting, which creeps me out completely, and the girl tried to cover it up after noticing Katie and me looking at her like she was crazy with "It's nothing, just for a headache!" Right... Shortly after Katie and I decided to leave. Andrew took us back to the hostel, where we decided to do some exploring on our own. We walked several blocks to the local market, where locals sell African goods. We used our AWESOME bargaining skills to get some great deals :) After that we decided to talk a few more miles, well... many more miles! back to the pier to watch the sun set and eat some dinner. The sun set was beautiful! We grabbed some pasta, which was also delicious, and headed home (by cab, don't worry...!) We have a big day tomorrow, so I'm headed to bed. I'll add pictures once I get home, but because I'm using a public computer this is impossible at the moment. Sorry, I really wish you all could see the beautiful things I'm seeing while reading this! It's an incredible city.

Much love,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment